Education: Completed undergraduate and graduate work at West Virginia University
Strategic planning; external relations; budgeting; overall management of the Center
- Collegiate job market trends
- Career advisement strategies
- Higher education administration
- Community service
- Leadership development
- Stewardship of the career services profession
What did you want to be when you grew up?
A running back for the Pittsburgh Steelers Football Club
Did you ever change your major in college?
Yes, my first major was political science.
If you could have an alternate career, what would it be?
Cinematographer/narrator for an international travel program
If you were a college freshman, I would...
Make plans for an overseas study experience.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." -Amelia Earhart
Favorite Purdue Landmark
Windsor Halls - These five buildings have been nicely renovated yet still maintain the charm and traditional look of the 1930s when they were built. The eclectic and International cuisine offers some fun dining alternatives. My wife Sally and I have enjoyed serving as faculty fellows at Windsor since our arrival at Purdue. One of the halls, Duhme Hall, was once the residence of Amelia Earhart.
First Job Ever
Hot dog bun steamer at age 6 in my family's ice cream parlor. The pay off was free ice cream cones. Life was good, so very good.
Worst Job Ever
Crawl space ditch digger - When I was 12 years old, we dug a ditch underneath our house to lay a water line. The pay off was being sponsored to attend Jerry West Basketball Camp. It was worth it"
Travel (thus far, visited all 50 states and 33 countries), theater and the arts, bicycling, all things Rotary
Advice for students
- - People are illogical, unreasonable and self-centered, love them anyway.
- - If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway.
- - If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway.
- - The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
- - Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.
- - The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest ideas. Think big anyway.
- - People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs. Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
- - What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.
- - People really need help but may attack you if you do help them. Help people anyway.
- - Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world the best you have anyway.
- (The Paradoxical Commandments, created in 1968 by Harvard student Kent M. Keith for inclusion in a student booklet.)