Share your career story by adding your bio to the syllabus, or on your webpage; share your story verbally as an introduction or in conversation with students as the time presents itself.
Use the prompts to help you share your career story with students.
- What did you study in college?
- What was your favorite class and why?
- What was your least favorite class and why?
- What got you interested in your current career?
- What other careers did you consider?
- Tell about your career journey. Where did it all begin? (from working in a grocery store to where you are today)
- Are you on the career path you thought you would take when you entered college? Please explain.
- Who or what influenced your career direction?
- What experience did you have that made you want to explore this as a career path?
- What was the weirdest/most difficult job you had? What did you learn from it that influenced your career path?
- Did you have any summer jobs? What did you learn from those that influenced your career direction?
- Did you have an internship? What did you learn from those that influenced your career direction?
- Did you experience any crossroad moments where you didn’t know which direction to take regarding a career? Please explain.
- What roadblock(s) did you encounter along your career path. What pivots did you make?
- Who has inspired/encourage you in your career pursuits?
- What advise do you have for students as they consider and explore opportunities?
- What advice were you given and did take?
- What advice were you given but didn’t take? Why?
- Tell about a time you failed.
- Looking back what was 1 or 2 things you did that helped you be where you are today?
- What do you do when you are not teaching or researching?
- Tell about a hobby you enjoy.