Choosing a Major
Discovering Who You Are
- What are your dreams?
- If you can do or be anything in the world without worrying about education or money, what would you do or be?
- What attracts you to this?
- What is preventing you from fulfilling that dream?
- What are your interests?
- Talk with a career counselor to take an interest inventory.
- What do you like to do for fun?
- What do you enjoy reading, studying, and learning about?
- What are your abilities?
- What are you good at doing?
- How are your abilities reflected in your academic courses?
- What do your grades suggest about your abilities?
- What are you most proud of achieving? What abilities allowed you to achieve this?
- What do your friends and family think you are good at doing?
- What are your values?
- If you had a million dollars, how would you spend it? What values does this suggest are important to you?
- What experiences do you have?
- What do you like about the jobs, activities, and volunteer experiences you have had? What do you not like?
Next Step: "Matching Purdue Majors to Your Interests"