FIRST DRAFT, FIRST STEPS
Decide the RESUME TYPE you prefer to use, based on the message you want to portray to employers:
- Highlights information in reverse chronological order from most recent to oldest
- Most commonly used format
- Make the most of this resume type by prioritizing your sections, so you can highlight your most relevant experience first!
- Highlights information in categories based on commonly grouped skills
- Useful for those with a wide variety of work history, gaps in experience, or those seeking to change career fields
- Margins: Top-0.8”-1”; Sides and bottom-0.5”-1”
- Font Size & Style: 10-12 and simple, readable fonts (Calibri, Georgia, Arial, Cambria, Times New Roman)
- Length: Undergraduate level-1 page; Graduate & PhD-2 pages or more; Education, Nursing and Medicine can have more than 1 page
- Templates: Refrain from using them!
- Order: Heading, objective (if included) and education are first, in that order
- No Pronouns: Do not use first-person pronouns (I, me, my)
- Don't get Personal: Refrain from incorporating personal information like your age, gender, religion, political affiliation, marital status, ethnicity , visa status or photographs
==> UPKEY is an excellent tool for building your first resume.