Purdue University educates close to 9,000 international students, from 125 different countries and is third among all public colleges and universities in international student enrollment in the nation.  These highly qualified students offer global perspectives, diverse experiences and unique viewpoints.

Internships During Degree Program - for both F-1 and J-1 Visas

Students with both F-1 and J-1 Visas are eligible to work during their degree program in a position related to their field of study.  For an F-1 Visa, this is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and for J-1 Visas, Academic Training (AT). It is the student’s responsibility to obtain approval from the Office of International Students and Scholars  prior to employment.  Hiring an international student for an internship role does not require any additional expense to the employer.

Employment after Graduation - for F-1 Visas

Upon graduation, international students are eligible to work twelve months in an occupation related to their field of study.  This is referred to as Optional Practical Training (OPT). Once the application is submitted by the student, it takes 90 days for approval to be granted.  Students graduating from a STEM designated degree program are eligible for an additional 24 months of employment, so long as it is related to their field of study and the employer is an E-Verify Employer.  Students must submit their STEM extension applications prior to the end date of their 12 month OPT. 

Click here for more information on F-1 Visas.

Employment after Graduation - for J-1 Visas

Students with J-1 Visas who have completed their degree programs are eligible to work (off-campus) in the United States after graduation in a position related to their field of study.  This is referred to Academic Training (AT).  The duration of their post-graduation AT is dependent on the how many months the student worked prior to matriculating, and the degree they received.  A student graduating with a Bachelor’s degree is eligible for a total of 18 months employment; one with a PhD will be granted a total of 36 months. 

Click here for more information on J-1 Visas.

Long-Term Employment in the U.S.

An H1-B Visa is sponsored by the employer allowing an individual to work in a “specialty occupation” for up to 3 years and it can be extended for a maximum of six years.  A limited number of H1-B visas are granted each year.  Employers should submit their application by April 1 for approval on October 1.  Students currently doing their OPT are eligible for a “Cap-Gap” extension while the H1-B petition is pending. The employer, with a qualified immigration attorney is responsible for submitting the application and for all related costs.

Click here for more information on H1-B Visas.