- Explore who you are. Identify your personal interests, skills, values, and what you want out of a career. Check out the Career Decision Making Model for more guidance with this step.
- Match your skills to needs. Investigate what companies are looking for by reading job descriptions relevant to your field. Establish a list of desirable skills and qualities they want and see if these can be incorporated into your personal brand, resume and cover letter. Check out the Draft a Resume or CV and Build Your Network page for more info.
CREATE AN ACTION PLAN
- Assemble a list of target companies that match your interests, skills and values.
- Research each organization and the available career opportunities.
- Set, track and meet short-term goals, urgent deadlines and small milestones. Every minute counts in the job search process!
TAP INTO YOUR NETWORK
- Conduct informational interviews with various contacts and companies in order to gain insight into your field’s job search process
- Join professional associations and alumni clubs, and maintain regular contact with those you meet.
- Utilize social media to connect with professionals in your area of interest. Read blogs or articles in areas that pertain to your field and contribute to the conversation.
- Ask your network for leads or advice.
- Talk to you adviser and professors about possible opportunities.
- Visit the Center for Career Opportunities in Young Hall, Rm 132 for job search tips during Drop-Ins.
Want more advice? View a CareerSpots video.