SUCCEED IN THE ACADEMIC JOB SEARCH
PREPARE A RESEARCH STATEMENT
A research statement is a clear and concise summary of your research and dissertation with a focus on the future direction of your research. Think about how your research and dissertation will fit into your future experience and institution you are applying to.
- Include a concise discussion of your dissertation, and relate previous research into future projects or related research programs.
- Express the relevance of your work to larger intellectual interests.
- Answer the questions, “Why does knowing about ______ matter?” and “What will that project tell them what they don’t already know?”
- Mention the future direction of your dissertation research and the important and innovative directions your research may take.
PREPARE A TEACHING STATEMENT
A teaching statement is a personal mission statement for anyone whose assignment is to help others learn.
- Use any specific instructions in the job posting as a guide.
- Length: 1-2 pages
- Use present tense to reflect your experiences and beliefs.
- Include discipline specific standards when necessary (avoid technical terms).
- Make your statement unique and set yourself apart from other candidates.
- Discuss your philosophy of teaching and learning.
- Describe your approach to teaching.
- Provide documentation of your effective teaching strategies.